Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day Reflections

Army lieutenant WWII
I lost my father on September 26, 2006 - ironically, my son's 21st birthday - and I continue to think of him often and sometimes find myself thinking that I want to tell him something such as about my new job and career path change.  It's hard to believe it's already been almost eight years since he left us.  He wasn't an easy father, but I credit much of my sense of what's right and wrong to him and he instilled in all of his children that it was better to do the right thing rather than follow the herd and follow the less noble, less moral course of action.  That duty to morality and instilled sense of what's right and what's wrong - and unwillingness to suffer fools readily - doesn't always make one popular, but it allows you to always look at yourself in the mirror without regrets.

Equally importantly, my father stood by me when I came out and was there for me when I saw my legal career crash as I was forced out of my former law firm due to homophobic bigotry.  Sadly, he never got to meet and know my husband, but I suspect they would have hit it off.  Thankfully, my mother was able to have my husband in her life for three years and they truly bonded with one another. 

To my father my message today is that I love and miss you.  As time goes by, I appreciate what you accomplished and taught me more and more.  I hope you are proud of the scholarship I endowed in your names.  Happy Father's Day.

No comments: