Monday, March 25, 2013

Mark Warner Endorses Gay Marriage

Virginia Senator Mark Warner has joined the ranks of Hillary Clinton, GOP Senator Rob Portman and Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill in endorsing full marriage equality for gay Americans.   Senator Warner is part of a growing tide of Congressional leaders who renounced former fence sitting and come out for full marriage equality.  Warner did so via his Facebook page which reads as follows:

I support marriage equality because it is the fair and right thing to do. Like many Virginians and Americans, my views on gay marriage have evolved, and this is the inevitable extension of my efforts to promote equality and opportunity for everyone. I was proud to be the first Virginia governor to extend anti-discrimination protections to LGBT state workers. In 2010, I supported an end to the military’s ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy, and earlier this month I signed an amicus brief urging the repeal of DOMA. I believe we should continue working to expand equal rights and opportunities for all Americans.

A sincere thank you to Senator Warner and other elected officials who see same sex couples as fully human and entitled to the same rights and benefits as every other American.  Religious based hate and prejudice has no place in the nation's civil laws.



No comments: